Saturday, June 18, 2011

Queretaro

The trip to Queretaro was interesting. We took a bus from the city and it took about three hours. Our bus tickets were paid courtesy of the Rolland family.We almost missed the bus too. If I hadn't of carried Olivia most of the way through the airport we would have totally missed it. The joys of traveling w/ a three year old. Lemme tell ya.

We stayed at the Hotel Mirage courtesy of Jorge Rolland. The reason why went to Queretaro was to
attend the Modesto C. Rolland family reunion. Justin met Jorge through HNet which is basically a chat site
for historians. Justin was looking for information on Modesto C. Rolland for an article he was writing about the development of broadcasting. They began sharing sources about Modesto C. Rolland through email and he ended up inviting him (us) to the family reunion to give a presentation on his findings about Modesto C. Rolland.

After the bus trip, we were all starving. We ate a big lunch at the hotel. Then we decided to take a stroll down to el centro. Well, on the way I was not feeling well. I totally ate way too much and felt very sick to my stomach. It was hot too. Just all around felt very bad. I didn't take any photos b/c I felt so crappy. Dumb. I did have a Polaroid with me that shoots my 669 film so I decided to take at least something with that. There was a very cool church I decided to photograph. I wanted to make a transfer out of it so I wouldn't know how it turned out until I got to the hotel room. More on this later.

Justin took a photo of me and Ariana, our friend who is also staying with us in Mexico City. She is also working on her dissertation.

Olivia ended up getting a pinwheel and an ice cream. She was very content.


The next day we went to the family reunion. Everyone was extremely nice and friendly. They were very welcoming. There were children there which made Olivia very happy. She ended up playing with two girls and they played with Barbies most of the time.


Here is Justin giving his presentation about Modesto C.Rolland


Justin and Jorge



Ariana and I


Back at the hotel, here is a view from our window



And...when I went to make that Polaroid transfer something horrible happened. It came out completely black. Black as night. All of my 669 film is ruined. Like a dumbass, I didn't have them hand inspect it at the airport so I'm pretty sure it was the xray machine that ruined it. It was a twin pack of film I have been saving for quite a long time. 20 shots. Maybe it was too old but I'm most certain it was the stupid xray machine. Such a waste.

I do plan on doing something with it though. I will end up making transfers out of all of the film I have and will make a piece out of it. It will be a part of my rejected Polaroid series I have been collecting. So maybe not a waste after all but definitely a let down.

Next blog: a trip to the Casa de los Azulejos and Palacio Postal

No comments:

Post a Comment