Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Polaroids from the Yucatan Peninsula in Mexico Pt.3

So now we have reached what they call the Riveria Maya. Lots of towns and crazy tourist parks along this stretch of the coast. The water was absolutely gorgeous, just like the Corona commercials.

We visited the Tulum ruins which were pretty cool. They were right by the ocean so you got to go take a dip in the water while you were there. It was fairly crowded here but not too bad. It was really hard to not get people in my photos. Sometimes I like to have people there for scale purposes and other times I get annoyed, especially when someone sees what you are trying to do and they just stand there anyway. Polaroids of Tulum:

Transfer:





I would like to mention at this point that Polaroids and humidity do not like each other. Of course this didn't occur to me until I was already down there but yeah, that kind of makes sense really. Also, my SX-70 camera did not like Mexico either. I had made several attempts to try it again from the first encounter and it would not cooperate.

Our next stop was a small town called Akumul(Ah-coo-mall). We pretty much just chilled here and did nothing. A good place to do this at. Found a lot of cool seashells on the rocky beach. Wasn't the best beach to go swimming but I could see that snorkeling would have been really cool.

Then we were off to Playa del Carmen. This place was kind of a miniature version of Cancun but not as expensive. I didn't take any Polaroids here. We did stay in a nice condo right by the beach. Since there were four of us the cost wasn't too bad.
Here's a shot from the Dirty Martini Lounge we went to. They were shots of Mezcal.


We end up back in Cancun. By the end of my journey I was pretty worn out and ready to be back home. I was gone for two and half weeks. We were fortunate that we didn't get pulled over or in any car accidents. That would have been nightmarish. I was ready to see my baby girl too. Though the break was nice, I do not want to be away from her for that long again.

I have added some nice additions from Mexico to the collection I am creating. Even though I had some major trials and tribulations, felt like I was in combat at times, I did end up with some nice Polaroids.

And...of course, when I got home and I was unpacking my bags, I came across that old SX-70 and thought well, I'll give you another try. I pull it open and aim at this lamp on my nightstand which I have always loved and yes, it had worked. It decided that it would behave itself, after my trip. I was frustrated and ecstatic at the same time. At least it is working again.

No comments:

Post a Comment