Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Polaroids from the Yucatan Peninsula in Mexico Pt.1








My travels in Mexico were quite exciting. Got to see lots of sights. Visited many towns both large and small. Had some difficulty with some of my Polaroids from film going bad to a camera not working but was still able to get some shots.



My first stop was Cancun which I didn't really care for. Too many people and way too americanized. The beaches there were great though.



Then we were off to a town called Valladolid (vay-ahh-doe-leed). We stayed at the San Clemente Hotel which was right by the Cathedral of San Gervasio in the main square. It was comfortable with air conditioning and a nice pool. I liked this town a lot. The people I encountered were really nice. The food was good and very affordable. There was also a really cool cenote (say-NOH-tay)as well called "Cenote Zaci". The water was very cold which felt good because it was crazy hot the entire time I was down there. Here's a Polaroid of Cenote Zaci:






I took a Polaroid of the church as well. My first attempt at this was unsuccessful. The film I had in my camera was expired 600. I think it was three or four years old. A friend had given it to me. When I went to take a photo it spat out an ugly brown photo. I had to run back to the hotel to retreive another pack of film. Thank goodness that worked.





Next stop was Chichen Itza, mayan ruins. This place was crazy busy. It felt a little like Disneyland which was unfortunate and there were a ton of vendors selling stuff to people which became annoying very fast. So, after walking down the long path to reach the major ruin I bust out my SX-70 camera loaded with the Time Zero film I bought off Ebay, which was not cheap. I open my camera, get the image in focus and press the shutter button and....nothing! Just a horrible "click" and no image. I kept pressing it franticly and nothing. I was so horribly disappointed words could not describe my anguish. I did not bring my 600 film camera since I took the Sx-70 and I had my digital camera bag, which is quite heavy, and my land camera which shoots the 669 film. There went my shot of holding the Polaroid up in front of Chichen Itza with my digital camera. I did get some 669 shots which will be turned into emulsion lifts and I got some digital images as well.






Then it was off to Merida, the capital of the Yucatan. Driving in this town was crazy. Lots of one way streets "calles" and lots of people. We ended up staying at the Dolores Alba Hotel which wasn't too far from the main square. Did a lot of shopping here. There were a lot of really cool doors and windows here, actually everywhere I went in Mexico had awesome old buildings with cool faded, chipped paint doors. I was really intrigued by them. Here's one that particularly caught my fancy. It was shot with my digital Canon.





Here's a transfer I did in a government building on the square.









The journey continues on.............in my next blog.



No comments:

Post a Comment