Friday, November 4, 2011

The Basílica de Guadalupe

The Basílica de Guadalupe (also known as Basílica of Our Lady of Guadalupe) is the most visited Catholic shrine in all the Americas. Many believers make pilgramages here throughout the year, especially on December 12th. That was the day in 1531, when a man named Juan Diego had a vision of the Virgin Guadalupe. She told him to build a temple here and imprinted her image on his tunic to show proof that he had seen her. Diegos tunic is hanging in the new church and still looks pristine. The area is made up of a complex of buildings situated at the foot of a hill, the Cerro del Tepeyac.

The modern basilica. This was built because the old basilica was sinking due to weakness of the ground. It can house up to 10,000 people.

The old basilica. It was closed for many years for repairs. It is open again to the public.

Capuchin Nuns' Temple which is next to the old basilica.


There was a large clock monument which is directly opposite of the modern basilica. The large plaza in front of all of these buildings is called Plaza Mariana.

I went with Ariana and her Aunt Teresita. This is Tere and I.
 
People will walk on their knees to pay respect to the Virgin and reaffirm their faith.
 
Inside the Pocito Chapel which means chapel of the little well. It was built around a water well that had healing powers.
 
After walking up some stairs, the Saint Michael chapel sits on top of Tepeyac Hill.
 
These prayers were sitting outside by the Saint Michael chapel.

 
Some of the things you could buy from vendors.

Inside the modern basilica.

The original tunic with the Virgin of Guadalupe image.

This was how you viewed the sacred image.

Before we left, I took a Polaroid of the old basilica with new film I haven't used yet. It was the Push! Colorshade film from the Impossible Project. You have to let it develop for at least 4 minutes and shield it immediately from light. While I was waiting to see how it turned out, I saw this man sitting by the modern basilica.

When I went to check out my Polaroid, it had a pink hue to it. I was some what disappointed but I went ahead and took some photos of it.

After I got home, the pink hue had almost completely disappeared. I guess it goes away after about an hour. I may go back and try to reshoot my digital version. It would be interesting to go on December 12th for the anniversary. Still have time to decide on this.

Next blog: Dia de los Muertos, Part1: Going to Market and Building an Altar

No comments:

Post a Comment