Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Life in Romita Part 1

Apologies for this post being so late. Everything seems to be stockpiling now. Ahhh!

Romita is where Ariana grew up as a child and some of her family still lives there. It is three hours north of Guadalajara located in the state of Jalisco. I was looking forward to a little country life after being in the city for some months.

We decided to leave at night to reach Guadalajara, which is a six hour bus ride. We left our apartment at 9:00pm and rode the metro to the Autobus Norte terminal. For some reason, I thought it wouldn't be crowded because of the time. I was completely wrong. As usual, it was crowded and we had backpacks stuffed so it was even more fun being on there. I will never assume again that the metro will not be crowded. I have learned my lesson, finally. It took about an hour to get to the bus terminal. It was also crowded and bustling like mad. We took a Primera Plus bus and it was $535 pesos for one adult, $268 pesos for Olivia. We left at 10:30pm. I was hoping to fall asleep on the bus but I had difficulty. I didn't really sleep. I fortunately had a MP3 player so I listened to that the whole time. Everyone else seemed to have fallen asleep. I felt like I was in a weird time warp trapped on a bus.

Arrived at Guadalarjara around 6am and decided to just go straight to Romita instead of resting. Bought another bus ticket for Tlaltenango. There isn't a direct bus to Romita. This was a three hour bus trip. I forgot how much the ticket was. Most of the way we were driving on this road which went up a mountain. The view was incredible but I was somewhat nervous. We were moving pretty fast on a curvy road. We made it there safely though.

We then took a taxi to Ariana's Aunt Teresita's house in Tlaltenango. We dropped our stuff off and decided to walk over to one of her grandfather's house in town. I decided to take some photos along the way.

A random house. I liked the colors.

We arrived at her Abuelo's house but he was not home. We chilled there for a little while and I took more photos.

There was a lima tree in the courtyard. The fruit is kind of a blend between an orange and a lemon. Ariana really likes them. I didn't really care for them myself. They were too tart for me.

Olivia pulling a lima off the tree.

Ariana eating her limas.

After chilling for a little while, we decided to walk to the main square.
This is the church on the square.

Ariana saw these guys selling churros, which is fried cow skin. It wasn't too bad. They served it with a delicious salsa.

At this point, we decided to get a taxi and head to Romita. It took about twenty or so minutes to get there. It is pretty remote and small. Small as in not a lot of people live there. I liked it. The exact opposite of what we have been living in. Her grandfather, Elpidro, was home. Ariana calls him Abuelito though.

This is Ariana's Abuelito's casa.

Justin, ready for some country livin'.

We decided to drive around the area. These next photos are from a graveyard in a small town called Momax.



Driving around some more, Ariana wanted to show us a place where she spent some of her childhood. The area is called Los Ranchitos. Along the way, spotted another graveyard. I took more photos. Barbie makes another appearance.



We arrive at the house in Los Ranchitos. A family was living in it though. Ariana went and asked if it was okay for us to look around and take photos. They allowed us to do so. They were very nice.




One more destination for the day. Ariana and me in the truck. Justin took this photo.

We went to the small town of Totatiche.

There was this cool old building beside the square.

View of the clock tower in Totatiche.

They had incredible bread here. So bad, but so good. We would use the internet cafe here and get basic staples.

I think I'll end this post here. My next blog will continue our time in the Romita area.

UPDATE: The fried cow skin is not called churros. It is called cueritos. Churros are fried dough covered in sugar. The ones I have seen on the street are long, straight prisms.

No comments:

Post a Comment