Monday, August 1, 2011

Museo Frida Kahlo

About 2 weeks ago, Justin and I went to the Museo Frida Kahlo. It is fairly close to the Jardín Centenario which is located in Coyoacán. We walked down Avenida Francisco Sosa again to get there. This area is so nice and peaceful. I really like it there. We lingered around the garden area and I noticed that a famous cantina, La Guadalupana, was nearby. It was mentioned in my guidebook so, since it was just Justin and myself we decided to check it out. Ariana was nice enough to watch Olivia for us...thank you!

La Guadalupana Cantina

A view of the street and the Iglesia de San Juan Bautista

We had two beers there and the women's soccer match, USA v. Japan, was playing. Everybody was for Japan except us. When we left, USA scored the first goal. Apparently they didn't win though. They definitely love their "football" here. I put football in quotation marks b/c to me, football is with a pigskin and American football is way better and more entertaining.

Onward to the museum. Didn't take too long to reach it. When we did, there was a pretty long line of people waiting to get in. We waited b/c I wasn't about to leave w/o seeing it. Plus, Ariana and her friend gave us their ticket stubs from this other museum they went to, Museo del Anahuacalli (which was created by Diego Rivera), which let us get into the Frida museum free. Thanks again Ariana! And to Bruno.

Entrance to museum

We waited maybe 15 minutes or so, not too long really. It was super crowded though which kind of sucked but people love Frida, as do I. In my guidebook, it said photography wasn't allowed but it was...if you paid $60 pesos. Since I didn't have to pay to get in and probably not going to come back, I paid the fee. It was worth it of course. Flash wasn't allowed which is typical at most museums.

People entering to get inside.

A lovely courtyard area when you first enter.

This is on the side of one of the walls.

The first room we entered which had several paintings.

A couple of paintings in this room.


Next room, the first Frida self-portrait I saw.
"I paint self-portraits because I am so often alone, because I am the person I know best." - Kahlo
Now that I think about it, that was the only self-portrait I remember seeing. There is a museum in Xochimilco, the Museo Dolores Olmedo Patiño, I plan on going to that has some of her self-portraits, including the "Self-Portrait with a Monkey."



A quote from Frida the museum put on the wall.

A neat little stage with handmade puppets.

Some photographs displayed.



A famous photograph of the lovely Frida Kahlo.

Dining room area with lots of dishes and collectibles.


Next, we went upstairs to the studio area. They had it arranged very neat and orderly. There were lots of windows looking out to a garden. It was pretty amazing.


Gas mask Rivera would use.

Frida's wheelchair she used when recovering from her accident as a teenager and probably later in her life as well.


Paints



A cool poster of reproduction.

One of the many casts she wore from recovering from her accident.

A cool globe. I shot this thinking of Justin.

Frida was bedridden quite a bit to heal from her injuries. Here's one of the beds she would lay in. She had a mirror installed above so she could draw herself.


A leg brace she used after she had to have right leg amputated from the knee due to gangrene later in her life.


Another bed. This one had a case of beautiful butterflies above it.


A dresser, you can see Justin in the mirror.

One of many papier-mâché sculptures hanging throughout the house.

Going out to the garden.

Cheesy tourist photo.

Justin by a big papier-mâché sculpture.

A naked lady, also known as Amaryllis.

View of the house from the courtyard.

There was another building with lots of religious paintings and a few smaller paintings by Frida.

Some of Frida's paintings.
"Feet, why do I need them if I have wings to fly." - Kahlo


She had three miscarriages in her life and was never able to have children of her own.

Some of the religious paintings displayed. There were tons.


One of the guys is holding a gun to the head of the other man.

Frida Kahlo was 47 when she passed away. The official cause of death was a pulmonary embolism though some people suspected she died of an overdose which might have been on purpose. While she was alive, The Louvre bought one of her paintings in 1939 but that was really the only major recognition she had received for her work while living. Her work didn't become popular with the masses until many decades after her death.

On the way back home, we took a diffrent route to get back to the Jardín Centenario. I'm glad we did because I discovered more street art and a fantastic pink wall. I leave you with this image, my favorite so far, of the layers I see in Mexico when I am venturing about.


Next blog: Museo del Carmen - there were mummies

No comments:

Post a Comment