Monday, July 11, 2011

Panteón Civil de Delores

Oh cemeteries, there is just something about them that I'm drawn to. Especially really old ones and especially the ones in Mexico. Some of the tombs are so elaborate and colorful. I always wonder about the people who are buried there and then I think about their families. It can be sad, I know, losing someone you love. I always try to remind myself that they are in a better place and really, cemeteries are more for the living than the dead.

Sometimes I feel weird taking photos in cemeteries when other people are there visiting a grave. I think to myself, is this disrespectful? I definitely don't want to insult anyone. I then think, would I be offended if someone was photographing my grave or one of my loved ones? My answer is no, I would most likely be flattered. I had this conversation with Ariana who came along with me on this particular journey.

Starting out, we went to a jewish cemetery called Panteón Israelita which was right across from the Panteón Civil de Delores. It is much, much smaller. I took these photos and was then approached by an older woman saying photography wasn't allowed there without a permit. Okay, we left and headed to Delores.

The entrance



Only shot I got inside


Entrance to Panteón Civil de Delores

A little info about Panteón Civil de Delores... it is the largest cemetery in Mexico. It's located between the second and third sections of Chapultepec Park. There's about 700,000 tombs, many with multiple occupants. It also contains the "Rotonda de las Personas Ilustres" (Rotunda of Illustrious Persons).
Many famous and important mexicans are buried in the Rotunda of Illustrious Persons including Diego Rivera, José Clemente Orozco and David Alfaro Siqueiros, as well as, some former presidents, writers, scientists, composers.

The Rotunda de las Personas Ilustres
Another view of it


Diego Rivera's Tomb

David Alfaro Siqueiros tomb

Other cool looking tombs


José Clemente Orozco tomb

Some other cool stuff that caught my eye



Trash and dead flowers


A worker's cleaning supplies

A coffin

Close-up


Next blog: Trip to Toluca Part I: Cosmovitral Jardín Botánical


No comments:

Post a Comment